Monday 16 March 2009

Into the swarm

... with Kathy’s arms tight round my neck I dive towards the ironghyll swarm. They seethe like the surface of the ocean, billions of fluid metal beasts swimming over and around each other. I can hear the thoughts of the hive-mind – they billow over us like clouds.

‘You never told me your mother’s name,’ says Kathy. I pump my wings, trying to slow us down, but it’s too late.

‘What does it matter now?’ I say.

‘Tell me anyway.’

‘Her name was Kythe, and she was the first dragon to open her wings on the world.’

‘And you’re the last?’

‘I think so.’

We plunge into the swarm. The ironghylls open up a gnashing metal mouth and admit us into a long metal throat. The throat closes over us, and scrabbling steel claws close over my dragon wings, and time hurls us forward on another of its long liquid beats ...

No comments:

Post a Comment